Why is not enabled TapButton of touchpad on Fedora by default?

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 09:58:51 UTC 2012

On Sun, 23 Sep 2012 16:44:16 +0200
Kevin Kofler wrote:

> drago01 wrote:
> > Because some people that can actually use it (i.e I never
> > accidentally click when trying to move the mouse; maybe you just
> > have a crappy touchpad?).
>
> On my notebook, touchpad tapping is off of course. I have this
> problem each time I try to use somebody else's touchpad which has
> tapping enabled. Many different touchpads, always the same problem.
> So it's not just a particular crappy touchpad.

I wonder if you have problem with touch-screen smart-phones as well,
it's essentially the same thing as far as your fingers are concerned.

As it never happened to me, it's kind of a mystery how you can
accidentally type while moving... Also there's one nice feature on
touchpads with tap-to-click, that you can double-tap-and-move to
drag (and drop afterward).

What I have personal issues with is accidental tapping while typing, but
that can be avoided by using "Disable touchpad when typing" setting...

The good thing about tapping is, as someone else already said,
 a) you don't have to move your finger (i.e. you click where you moved,
    which is pretty much intuitive). This is a massive win when you
    click often.
 b) It's silent (the touchpad buttons usually emit rather loud clicking
    noise which is annoying, especially when clicking often).
 c) You do not have to press as hard when tapping.
 d) You can scroll using touchpad.

That said, I still prefer wireless mouse to touchpad and, when not
travelling, also use it, so I don't get bothered much by the current
default setting.

Martin