Why is not enabled TapButton of touchpad on Fedora by default?

les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Wed Sep 26 18:51:15 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-09-26 at 18:13 +0100, Álvaro Castillo wrote:
> Please do not call "idiots" anybody this is a community. Respect no a
> MTV Jersey Shore programm.
>
> I do not understand that say Kevin. I talk about No buttons around the
> touchpad. I speak of the touch pad that allows you to do almost the
> same as a mouse.
>
> A lot users wants enabled by default these touch pad I say.
>
> On Sep 26, 2012 4:54 PM, "Adam Williamson" <awilliam at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>         On Wed, 2012-09-26 at 11:58 +0200, Martin Sourada wrote:
>         > On Sun, 23 Sep 2012 16:44:16 +0200
>         > Kevin Kofler wrote:
>         >
>         > > drago01 wrote:
>         > > > Because some people that can actually use it (i.e I
>         never
>         > > > accidentally click when trying to move the mouse; maybe
>         you just
>         > > > have a crappy touchpad?).
>         > >
>         > > On my notebook, touchpad tapping is off of course. I have
>         this
>         > > problem each time I try to use somebody else's touchpad
>         which has
>         > > tapping enabled. Many different touchpads, always the same
>         problem.
>         > > So it's not just a particular crappy touchpad.
>         > >
>         > I wonder if you have problem with touch-screen smart-phones
>         as well,
>         > it's essentially the same thing as far as your fingers are
>         concerned.
>         >
>         > As it never happened to me, it's kind of a mystery how you
>         can
>         > accidentally type while moving... Also there's one nice
>         feature on
>         > touchpads with tap-to-click, that you can
>         double-tap-and-move to
>         > drag (and drop afterward).
>
>         When lots of people who clearly aren't complete idiots tell
>         you
>         something happens to them, it's probably best just to accept
>         that it
>         does, because arguing that you can't possibly see how it could
>         possibly
>         happen to them is only going to make you look churlish.
>
>         It happens to Kevin, it happens to me, it happens to lots of
>         other
>         people, which is why the experts in the field have set the
>         default they
>         have. They didn't make it up out of thin air.
>         --
>         Adam Williamson
>         Fedora QA Community Monkey
>         IRC: adamw | Twitter: AdamW_Fedora | identi.ca: adamwfedora
>         http://www.happyassassin.net
>
>         --

I do not want touch pad taps enabled by default. I do have the problem,
and most people I know have the problem that the touch pads are not all
sufficiently "debounced" to make this feature useful.  Nor do most of
them handle multiple point touches well, or many other issues such as
dry hands that will cause skipping and be interpreted as taps.

Please, you can enable this feature if you want it, and if your touchpad
handles it well, then good for you.

Tapping is a "feature", not a characteristic of touch pad use, and as
such should be accessible to those who want it, but not enabled by
default.

Just my personal point of view.

Regards,
Les H