python-fedora minimum python version

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 18:58:44 UTC 2013

Greetings all,

Fedora Infrastructure develops a python module called python-fedora which
can be used to connect to the web services that we run (Bodhi, packagedb,
etc). This is used by fedpkg, pkgdb-cli, and a variety of ad hoc scripts
that people are running on their systems.

As the developers of this software, we would like to move to supporting
python-2.6 and higher.  Among other things, this will let us start
considering a move to python3.  python-2.6 is available in RHEL6 and
python-2.7 is available in all current Fedora releases.  However, RHEL5 has
python-2.4.  If we move to python-2.6 the version of python-fedora in EPEL5
will slowly lose functionality as its code is not updated while the web
applications that the library talks to gain and remove features and change
their API.

The question that we have as the developers of python-fedora is whether this
will be a problem for anyone.  If the users of this library have moved on to
RHEL6 and current Fedora, then we're fine with allowing the version in EPEL
to slowly bit-rot; backporting only security fixes.  However, if people are
actively running code that depends on python-fedora working on RHEL5 then
it's probably better for us to maintain python-2.4 compatibility, at least
for the time being.

So if you use this directly or run fedpkg or other scripts which require it
on RHEL5 please speak up and let me know that we need to continue targeting
python-2.4.  If you send replies to this list, I'll see that the information
is passed back to the infrastructure list and team.

(And note, eventually we will have to move to a newer python version.
If we choose to stay with python-2.4 now we'll reevaluate periodically
to figure out when the time has come to move forward.)

Thanks,
Toshio