what is "initramfs-0-rescue" in F19?

Jeffrey Bastian jbastian at redhat.com
Mon Apr 8 22:00:19 UTC 2013

On Mon, Apr 08, 2013 at 04:03:47PM -0500, Jeffrey Bastian wrote:
> I removed my initramfs-0-rescue-* file because I didn't know what it was
> and no rpm claimed to own it.  How do I get it back?  I've tried running
> dracut with various options and it doesn't regenerate the image.

Attempting to answer my own question...  I'm not sure if this is the
correct way, but I tried running this:

  /etc/kernel/postinst.d/51-dracut-rescue-postinst.sh $(uname -r) \
                                                   /boot/initramfs-$(uname -r)*

And now I have rescue files again:

  # ls -latr /boot/*0-rescue*
  -rw-------. 1 root root 27496022 Apr  8 16:46 /boot/initramfs-0-rescue-...img
  -rw-------. 1 root root  7860871 Apr  8 16:46 /boot/vmlinuz-0-rescue-...

Is dracut supposed to run the /etc/kernel/postinst.d/* scripts
automatically?  I ran dracut through 'bash -x' and strace and it didn't
appear to even look in /etc/kernel/postinst.d

The reason I removed the file in the first place is because grub2-mkconfig
generates a not-very-descriptive entry in the menu.  My grub.cfg now has this:
  menuentry 'Fedora, with Linux 0-rescue-344...c20' ... {

Furthermore, my system is set up to dual boot between Fedora 17 and 19
Alpha, and now grub2-mkconfig has set this rescue image as the default
kernel for F17.
  menuentry 'Fedora release 17 (Beefy Miracle)' ... {
    linux /vmlinuz-0-rescue-344...
  }

That seems a little strange to me.

Jeff