question about journald and rsyslogd in f19, are both enabled by default?

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Tue Apr 23 01:38:09 UTC 2013

On Mon, 22.04.13 18:21, Reartes Guillermo (rtguille at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I noticed this after many freezes (due to bug 954181) in the messages:
>
> [    3.549075] systemd-journald[177]: File
> /var/log/journal/4697cb8e07b94ed28925792b701e629f/system.journal corrupted
> or uncleanly shut down, renaming and replacing.

Make sure to run the newest systemd RPM, and this shouldn't happen
anymore unless you turned off the machine abruptly at the worst possible
moment.

> But why is it running if i did not enable it nor have i changed the default
> syslog?

In contrast to syslog journald is running in early and late boot and
collects output from all services's stdout/stderr. It forwards all that
to syslog if one is running, so that syslog gets substantially more data
this way than on classic sysvinit setups. journald cannot be turned off,
since all service stdout/stderr is connected to it, it's simply too
integrated.

If you think the journal is evil, then you can set Storage=none in
/etc/systemd/journald.conf which will still leave it running but without
storing anything locally on disk. It will then act as a concentrator
only, and will simply make the data logged to syslog more
comprehensive. Instead of turning storage off, I can only recommend you
giving "journalctl" a try, since it is so much nicer than anything that
existed before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4CACB7paLc

In F18, storage in journald was disabled by default, in F19 we enabled
it by default, since it greatly improves the usefulness of "systemctl
status" (simply because we can store a bit more data this way, where
before we only used a tiny ringbuffer in /run). Also, this has the
effect of allowing unprivileged users access to their own journals.

Note that rsyslog remains turned on in F19 by default (we were a bit
tired to fight this through for now). You hence get journald and rsyslog
running side-by-side by default. Both of them store data in /var/log/.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.