Q: bundled fonts.

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 17:10:16 UTC 2013

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 06:42:07PM +0200, Alec Leamas wrote:
> On 2013-04-23 18:19, Tom Callaway wrote:
> >On 04/23/2013 12:05 PM, Alec Leamas wrote:
> >>Just a double check: whether I symlink or patch the css files, the
> >>system path must be accessible for the web app. Is this really true in
> >>general, isn't  it depending on the web server configuration?
> >Hmm. I think if you couldn't use the system copy for those technical
> >reasons... well, there is a nasty way to do it with triggers to handle
> >copying, but I'm not sure I can recommend that in good conscience.
> >
> >You could simply copy the font in a %post scriptlet, but if it ever got
> >updated, you'd be using an old copy. If you copy it from BuildRequires,
> >it would only get updated on new builds, but I think that method might
> >be the simplest. You'd need to ask for a bundling request, but I'm
> >pretty sure I'd support it.
> >

> >==
> >Fedora Project
> Hm... unless there is more input on this I'll go for the
> BuildRequires + bundling exception. This will take some time, have
> some fonts to package.
>
> There will probably be more of this, fedora-review is updated with a
> new test looking for bundled font files.My gut feeling is also  that
> there are some other bundled fonts in existing packages...

Nicolas, does that strategy sound good to you?  IIRC, the major issue with
bundling of fonts was licensing (with other things like updates to the
glyphs being secondary concerns).  Using BuildRequires and then copying
the font files at build time would seem to be a reasonable way to work
around this.

Is there a need to issue virtual provides for these?  For instance:
  Provides: bundled(levien-inconsolata-fonts = 1.01)

-Toshio