ABRT, Faf and current state of bug reporting

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Apr 23 17:46:00 UTC 2013

On Tue, 23 Apr 2013 15:27:50 +0200
Richard Marko <rmarko at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'll try to explain how crash reporting currently works in Fedora.
>
> Typical reporting process looks like this:
>  - crash is reported to Faf server which responds with 'known' or
> 'unknown' reply;
>  - in case it responds with 'known' and the bug was already reported
> to both the server and bugzilla, the reporting is stopped and only
> report counts on the server are updated;

Does the user get a link to any bugs associated with the crash?
Or this happens without user interaction?

>  - if the crash is unknown, the reporting either continues or stops
> depending on the configuration (for Gnome, only automated reporting to
> faf is enabled);
>  - if enabled, the rest of the process continues with local or remote
> retracing, reporting to bugzilla and attaching bugzilla ticket to faf
> report.
>
> This allows us to get accurate statistics of crashing applications
> while not forcing every user to report to bugzilla. This is a
> trade-off between getting accurate statistics and quality of the
> reports as automated reports are anonymous which is also the reason
> why they can't contain full backtrace with data.

Well, it's nice to know when things crash, sure... but without more
information it's very difficult to figure out how to fix that crash.

> Then there are reports with no bugzilla attached as they were reported
> automatically or no one finished the bugzilla reporting. These reports
> get bugzilla ticket attached after there's person who finishes the
> reporting or the ticket is created by the server.

Perhaps we could make it always require a person to be willing to
file? Hopefully someone who can explain what happened and what they
have installed, etc? ie, "hey, look, 50 people saw this crash, but it
has no bug yet, well, I know exactly what I do to cause it, let me file
the bug and help all 50 of the other folks seeing it out"

kevin