Q: webfonts:

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 09:22:33 UTC 2013

On 04/29/2013 11:04 AM, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
> On 04/27/2013 01:49 PM, Alec Leamas wrote:
>>
>> I'm trying to package a web application with bundled fonts. These fonts
>> are used by the web clients (browsers), and just served from the Fedora
>> webapp. The case is similar to javascript .js files.
>>
>> Trying to package the webfonts as dependencies I have run into problem
>> together with my reviewer. Basically, we don't know what to do. Some
>> questions:
>>
>> - Where should webfonts be stored?  A specific dir would be good, since
>> some fonts exists in both a webfont and desktop variant with the same
>> filenames.
>> - How shoulld webapps get access to the system webfont? Is the apache
>> config file approach used for ..js files, where the webapp gets access
>> to specific system paths, usable also here?
>> - Given that the primary concern about fonts seems to be licensing, is
>> it really meaningful to unbundle them?
>>
>> This is the short story. The somewhat longer:
>> https://fedorahosted.org/fpc/ticket/277
>>
>> Any help, out there?
>
> I had the same answer few months ago and got this answer:
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/packaging/2012-December/008783.html

Thanks! I knew I had seen this message somewhere, but lost it...

The reply makes me feel a little more confused, on a higher level. How
does that reply translate to the packaging of a web application with
some bundled webfonts ? "scratching my head".

Note that in my case the "fonts" are just just images and icons, which
makes the normal font fallback mechanisms useless. They are needed, period.

--alec