Duplicate documentation files / potentially conflicting

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 13:58:47 UTC 2013

On Wed, 4 Dec 2013 12:08:08 +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:

> I've read this several times, and
>
>   https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/UnversionedDocdirs
>
> and I still don't understand what this message means.

My message or a specific bugzilla ticket?

> How would this cause subpackage conflicts?

Have you heard about Doxygen generated documentation causing conflicts?
Here the problem is expanded into a conflict between the base package
and the second package that also includes the documentation.

> What has arch/noarch got to do with anything?

A noarch subpackage may be built on any build arch different than the
builder that creates the base package. This triggers bugs (such as the
Doxygen timestamp/footer bug), because the noarch build's doc files may
differ from the arch build's doc files.

If no noarch subpkg is involved, it [hopefully] boils down to just
duplicated files.

> Can you point to an example of a packaging problem?

Duplicate files are a packaging problem already. Duplicating the entire
contents of a huge -doc subpackage in the base package is a problem.
Worse if there is a conflict. The bug reports don't claim there is a
conflict _always_. But we encounter Doxygen related conflicts regularly,
even during review.