[Base] Base Design WG agenda meeting 13. Dec 2013 15:00 UTC on #fedora-meeting

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 08:26:41 UTC 2013

On fim 12.des 2013 20:00, Matthew Miller wrote:
>> >It's the other way around as in the WG's have to be in alignment how
>> >the impact of Base affects them.
> I hope we're kind of all working together on this in both directions....

Not really because since it's quite obvious that embedded has different
needs in their base layer then cloud/server/desktop does, cloud has
different needs in their base layer then embedded/server/desktop does,
server has different needs in their base layer then
embedded/cloud/desktop does and desktop has different needs in their
base layer then embedded/cloud/server does ( see where I'm going with
this ).

The base end's up being broken compromises between the working groups (
in other words keeping things the same as they are now ), which is why I
designed the FedoraOS ( which is just different approach to the
layer/rings design ) concept differently and tried to propose that the
base layer was provided by the WG's themselves and the baseWG would be
focusing strictly around the core ( which is required to make an actual
focused change ).

The WG process does not help us improving our community, our products
and brings us closer to upstream all of which is required to keep us
relevant as an potential distribution for contributors to participate in
and end users to use.

I've said it before and say it again what is taking place with the WG
effort is nothing but dressing the emperor in new clothes while trying
to duck tape wings on an elephant in the hopes of making it fly which
benefits no one but self serving interest individuals and company's ( of
most notably Red Hat ) with the end result being the same as we are now
with just with more focus on driving us to irrelevance instead of
interest and participation...

What we need is an real change in the project and that requires new ways
of thinking and approaching things.

JBG