idea for installation - web

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Sun Dec 15 11:01:28 UTC 2013

On Sun, 2013-12-15 at 10:19 +0200, חץ בן חמו wrote:
> > > IMHO, at the moment, the current installation process is quite ..
> > > confusing. text mode installation has gone,
> >
> > No it hasn't. Boot with parameter 'text'.
> >
> > >  and so VNC method (last I checked),
> >
> > No it hasn't. Boot with parameter 'vnc'.
>
> Could someone please add them to the boot menu please? I've been
> searching for ages for those options and I didn't see it mentioned
> anywhere.

anaconda has a whole boatload of parameters, we can't really put every
one in the boot menus...I don't think text mode or VNC were ever in the
boot menus, were they?

> > I don't think it'll be any use to most people as port 80 won't be open,
> > and I think you're badly under-estimating the difficulty of writing an
> > installer UI. I don't think it really provides anything that VNC install
> > doesn't...
>
> I'm not sure I follow you. I was only talking about the installer
> which will launch nginx after getting the network parameters. I didn't
> mean that it will continue to be run (or to be installed when
> installing the OS), all the updates to the systems will continue to be
> executed as today, either as GUI or command lines.

? I was saying that this would involve writing a completely new
installer UI, or re-writing the existing one in web languages (oh, god,
*please* let me be a fly on the wall when someone suggests this to the
anaconda team...), and that's a huge undertaking - unless I'm
mis-understanding your idea.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey