PSA: If you are C/C++ developer, use cppcheck

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 22:12:24 UTC 2013

Hi

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 4:34 PM, Tomas Hozza  wrote:

> Publishing scan results for all Fedora packages might not be very good
> idea,
> since the static analysis can find issues with possible security impact.

Sure and if someone wants to understand that security impact inorder to
exploit they can always use coverity right now to find it out but if this
is really a concern, one could easily gate access to the reports using FAS.

> Also Coverity offers their tool to open-source projects for free [1]. I
> think
> some projects are already using it (at least Squid). So if upstream
> projects
> are interested, they can sign up for free.

That is true but it is clear that majority of projects are not doing that
and as a distributor of thousands of projects,  I think Fedora can be
provide a good value for upstream and itself by doing in a central place
proactively.  Red Hat is already doing it for some packages.  Just need to
find a way to increase that coverage and provide the reports in a way
accessible to volunteer Fedora package maintainers.

Rahul