Inter-WG coordination: Stable application runtimes

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Tue Dec 17 23:19:49 UTC 2013

Hi Andrew,

On Tue, 2013-12-17 at 15:05 -0800, Andrew Lutomirski wrote:

> There will be a similar problem in the docker images, unless you're
> suggesting that everyone use Ubuntu-in-docker-on-Fedora/RHEL.

True, but it becomes the responsibility of the container creator, not
"Fedora".

Anyways, I of course come from the perspective of glib maintainer, and
we're already committed to "Compatibility level 1" starting from Red Hat
Enterprise Linux 6, meaning there will be no ABI breaks for 3 major
releases.  (See https://access.redhat.com/site/articles/119073 - this is
transitive from the gtk2 stability ).

I think it would also make sense to enforce these in Fedora (or really,
enforce them upstream, which is where I do it).

> (Also, docker is *far* from ready for prime time, especially in its
> LVM incarnation.)

I actually haven't used it myself, so I can't comment on that; I'm just
observing where the Red Hat Enterprise Linux engineering work is going.