Should a working fedup in Fedora N's stable repository be a release criterion for N+1?

Andrew Lutomirski luto at mit.edu
Tue Dec 17 23:22:01 UTC 2013

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 3:16 PM, Andrew Lutomirski <luto at mit.edu> wrote:
> I have a tendency to upgrade to a new Fedora release as soon as it's
> final, and I sometimes upgrade even sooner.  ISTM that the official
> upgrade process is almost always broken, often for known reasons.
> Should one of the criteria for releasing Fedora N+1 be that a
> fully-updated Fedora N must be able to successfully complete 'fedup'
> or whatever the current preferred upgrade program is?
>
> (FWIW, the current bug is particularly nasty -- fedup 0.7.0 apparently
> can't actually update anything, and the sequence:
>
>  - Install fedup 0.7.0
>  - Try it and watch it fail or hang
>  - Update to fedup 0.8.0 from updates-testing
>  - Run fedup
>
> ends up downloading all rpms *twice* a sucking up a correspondingly
> immense amount of disk space.

To make the proposal more clear:

Currently, in https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_upgrade_fedup_cli_previous_desktop_encrypted,
the instructions say "Install fedup. It is usually a good idea to
install the very latest version from updates-testing: su -c 'yum
--enablerepo=updates-testing install fedup'".

I propose changing that to something like "Install fedup.  The version
of fedup used must be the most recent stable release.)

--Andy