Should a working fedup in Fedora N's stable repository be a release criterion for N+1?

Andrew Lutomirski luto at mit.edu
Wed Dec 18 03:54:13 UTC 2013

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 6:47 PM, Michael Catanzaro <mcatanzaro at gnome.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-12-17 at 18:33 -0800, Andrew Lutomirski wrote:
>> I don't think Fedora is doing its users any favors by declaring F20 to
>> be released when upgrading from F19 using 'fedup --source network 20'
>> is known to be broken.  The bleeding-edge types can already upgrade to
>> the beta.
>
> I'm attempting to imagine Microsoft or Apple telling users to install an
> experimental, insufficiently-tested utility to perform a risky operating
> system upgrade -- or even a stable, sufficiently-tested utility that is
> nonetheless labeled as experimental.

Huh?

Quoting from https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading:

"All currently supported Fedora releases, starting with Fedora 18, can
be upgraded with FedUp. previous releases used PreUpgrade or the
installation DVD, but users of older releases should back up their
systems and perform a clean installation for best results."

In fact, "[fedup] is the recommended method to upgrade your Fedora
system to Fedora 18 and newer."

The main get-fedora page says "Live Media can't be used to upgrade
Fedora installations. Instead, you can upgrade Fedora right from your
desktop. Do this by using Fedup - it will install the packages you
need and upgrade your version of Fedora."

Admittedly, the FedUp page says "Be sure to get the latest release,
this may involve enabling updates-testing (yum
--enablerepo=updates-testing install fedup in the command line)."

I think this is silly.  Maybe using the updates-testing version will,
in general, be more reliable, but I think that the version in stable
should at least be expected to work.

--Andy