PSA: If you are C/C++ developer, use cppcheck

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Sat Dec 28 05:30:27 UTC 2013

Hi

On Sun, Dec 22, 2013 at 9:46 AM, Till Maas wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 12:17:00PM -0500, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
> > In the last few days, I have been running cppcheck on quite a few
> programs
> > including systemd, transmission, libvirt,  ndjbdns etc and cppcheck has
> > found real and potential bugs (null pointer dereferences, uninitialized
> > variables, memory & resource leaks etc) in each of them.  I have reported
>
> Btw. it seems like Debian intends to run checks like this automatically:
>
> http://qa.debian.org/daca/

Yes.  This is the sort of thing that Fedora could be and should be in the
forefront of.  I ended up running scan-build from clang-analyzer and found
more memory leaks, null pointer deferences and other issues that cppcheck
doesn't find. I am going to try and send in some patches if I can. It would
be great if this sort of thing was done via a centralized infrastructure
that catches these bugs early on and encourages upstreams to fix them
quickly.

Rahul