Unannounced soname bump: tracker

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Sat Dec 28 12:42:57 UTC 2013

>> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=485698
>>
>> the sonames of libtracker-extract, libtracker-miner and
>> libtracker-sparql were bumped to 0.18.so.0 (from 0.16.so.0) without
>> announcement, and without all dependent packages being successfully
>> rebuilt. At least the following still depend on the old sparql library:
>
> The thing with Tracker is that they bump the bump the soname and their
> pkgconfig file version somewhat gratuitously every six months.
>
> I built a new tracker because some applications (eg., gnome-photos)
> specifically want the features in the 0.17/0.18 series.
>
> I thought I had rebuilt all the affected packages, but obviously I
> missed some.
>
>> bijiben-0:3.11.1-1.fc21.x86_64
>> brasero-0:3.11.3-1.fc21.x86_64
>
> I thought the round of builds for 3.11.3 would take care of these two, but
> it looks like bijiben was not built by mclazy and brasero got built before
> the new tracker hit the trees. :-/
>
>> grilo-plugins-0:0.2.9-2.fc21.x86_64
>> media-explorer-0:0.4.4-5.fc21.x86_64
>
> These two need new upstream releases, but the patches are already in
> Git.
>
>> What does it take for people to handle soname bumps properly?
>
> Barring media-explorer, everything else is part of the GNOME stack so
> chances of other spins being broken by this was low.
>
> My assumption was that sooner or later this would be sorted by the
> GNOME builds during the 3.11.x cycle. Given that the Fedora and GNOME
> schedules are quite a bit out of sync these days, I was hoping for
> some transient rawhide breakage during the Christmas break to go
> largely unnoticed. I mean if this is the only thing broken in Rawhide
> at the moment, then I would be more than happy. :)

Ultimately the rule of thumb is if it's a soname bump you need to
rebuild all the packages that are dependent on it when you push the
build. Relying on the possibility that some time in the future there
maybe a new release of something is not good enough as there are
people that use rawhide constantly and you're unnecessarily causing
pain for them and extra work for others to cleanup the mess. If the
soname is bumped you need to rebuild all the dependent packages no
matter what even if tomorrow or next week there will be new releases.

Peter