Proposed F19 Feature: Dracut HostOnly

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Feb 1 10:46:39 UTC 2013

Am 01.02.2013 11:37, schrieb Harald Hoyer:
> Am 29.01.2013 16:53, schrieb Dennis Gilmore:
>> as legal has said we cannot pregenerate initramfses i think this should
>> be a non-starter. even loading a 20mb initramfs from a sdcard on a slow
>> arm box doesnt take that long, and id personally much rather be able to
>> change hardware or yank the drive  and put it into a different box
>> without worrying about making sure i have the right initramfs bits in
>> place. at least to me the costs outweigh the benefits. the grub timeout
>> on my laptop/desktops is longer than the time it takes to load the
>> initramfs.
>>
> If you are running a lot of virtual machines, you will care about
> a) boot time
> b) disk size
> c) yum update time (including generation of the initramfs)

in this case you have already the following because on
virtual machines it is very unlikely that hardware
fundenemtally changes - but on real hardware as DEFAULT?

yes i have the same also on real hardware
but i would not recommend it to any other person

[root at testserver:~]$ cat /etc/dracut.conf.d/90-plymouth.conf
omit_dracutmodules+="plymouth"

[root at testserver:~]$ cat /etc/dracut.conf.d/91-host-only.conf
hostonly="yes"