Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

Paul Wouters pwouters at redhat.com
Fri Feb 1 17:20:05 UTC 2013

On Wed, 30 Jan 2013, Bruno Wolff III wrote:

>> On 2013-01-29, 22:52 GMT, Michael Scherer wrote:
>>> I am delighted to announce you that Red Hat has a policy of not
>>> tolerating drugs on the work place. So you should be utterly relieved to
>>> know that no people posting here with a @redhat.com email should be
>>> under the influence of any serious hallucinogens.
>>
>> Some of Red Hat people are remotees, working from home. ;)
>
> And even at the office, I doubt they really ban all drugs. Really, no Moutain
> Dew?

I can only speak for Red Hat Canada, when I say that in our country,
there is no caffeine in Mountain Dew.

but more on topic, having disliked the reduced functionality of gnome3
when it replaced my beloved gnome2, I tried out cinnamon, and well. I
went back to gnome3. The bottom panel did not work as with gnome2,
changing the size of the panel (my eyes suck) did not increase the size
of the icons on it. Changing window focus felt like a first person
shooter. But I _could_ get a date displayed in the top panel!

Changing the default a few times just means we are guaranteed to annoy _everyone_

Now if only "cannot display date with the time in top panel" could be
a gnome3 blocker bug, that would be one less gnome3 issue. The other
major one of notifications being seemingly overengineered while still
being pretty useless probably is a bigger issue :/

Paul