Proposed F19 Feature: System Configuration Shell

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Fri Feb 1 20:52:43 UTC 2013

On 01/31/2013 02:08 PM, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> = Features/SystemConfigurationShell =
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SystemConfigurationShell
>
> Feature owner(s): Tom Schwaller <tom dot schwaller at web dot de>
>
> The System Configuration Shell System provides an easy to use
> interactive command line interface with a standardized syntax to
> manage your system.
>
> == Detailed description == Network Administrators love their very
> powerful switch/router/firewall/etc. CLI which can be used for all
> administrative tasks in a very structured and well documented way.
> Compare that to classical Linux System Administration which is a
> mix of editing configuration files using different formats and
> executing commands & scripts with a heterogeneous syntax. The
> System Configuration Shell will provide an interactive command line
> interface using the python-configshell framework with a
> standardized syntax to manage your system. It consists of the
> command configsh which starts an interactive shell and can also be
> used in shell scripts and the command config for one-shot
> configuration commands (e.g. config hostname www.fedoraproject.org
> which not only executes hostname www.fedoraproject.org but also
> changes several configuration files to make the new hostname
> permanent).
>
> The System Configuration Shell will facilitate the Linux System
> administrators daily work. Since every command is logged (in a
> verbose mode even showing the exact system commands and scripts
> executed), each administrator can decide him/herself if he/she
> feels comfortable using standard parts (or local extensions) the
> System Configuration Shell. The approach is similar to the OpenWrt
> UCI Command Line Utility or the Vyatta vbash but using a different
>  approach.

Tom, I'd like to direct your attention to the OpenLMI project at
www.openlmi.org. We're working on a public, local/remote API interface
for doing system management in Linux. It seems to me that your config
interface might benefit from hooking into OpenLMI to do the actual
work under the hood. I was hoping you might be willing to talk with us
about integrating these two projects.

The benefits to OpenLMI would be access to a ready, usable UI
interface for system management. The benefits to python-configshell
would be a stable interface for actually performing the requested work.

If you're interested in exploring this, please subscribe to
https://lists.fedorahosted.org/mailman/listinfo/openlmi-devel (so as
not to saturate devel at lists.fedoraproject.org with excess
project-specific discussions).