Another unannounced soname bump: libseccomp

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Sat Feb 2 20:47:44 UTC 2013

On Sat, 02 Feb 2013 16:10:34 +0100
Tom Callaway <tcallawa at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 01/29/2013 02:24 AM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > So, just as a path for anyone who's interested to take a look down,
> > I think we could potentially Do Something about all these
> > unannounced soname bumps.
>
> Really, what we should do is this:
>
> * When a rawhide build results in new broken dependencies, we should
> immediately (and automatically):
>  - Increment the release on each of the deps, commit, and try a
> rebuild
>
> Surely, there will be cases which will need maintainer intervention,
> but I believe there is ample evidence that the majority of these
> cases just need a rebuild. Fedmsg should make this possible to do.
>
> I brought this up in the infrastructure room at FUDCon Lawrence, and
> there seemed to be general consensus that this was not only possible,
> but will be done, so I hope we will actually see this soon. :)

Yep. I think we can get there, but just we aren't there yet. ;)

We need to:

- Add messages to the broken deps report. (should be trivial).

- Setup a process to look for these and do the bump/rebuild. It would
  need some smarts to make sure that it didn't do this every single day
  when it fails, etc. Possibly it could check for it's changelog and if
  it was the last thing to try building it, bypass.

- Ideally it would have some way to do a scratch build first and see if
  the deps were fixed, but checking broken deps is not at all easy, so
  that might be too much gravy.

I think we can get there. ;)

kevin