Proposed F19 Feature: Apache OpenOffice

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Feb 4 06:47:44 UTC 2013

Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> = Features/ApacheOpenOffice =
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ApacheOpenOffice
>
> Feature owner(s): Andrea Pescetti <pescetti at apache.org>
>
> Add Apache OpenOffice, the free productivity suite, to Fedora.

A big -1 to this feature, and in fact I'd urge FESCo to veto that package
outright (or if it somehow already made it into Fedora, to get it blocked in
Koji and Obsoleted by libreoffice ASAP).

Rationale:
* What benefit does this package have over LibreOffice, to justify carrying
  2 packages doing essentially the same thing?
* OpenOffice is a huge package and a big strain on our build system (Koji);
  IMHO, having 2 versions of it would be a gigantic waste of resources.
* LibreOffice is clearly the community version to be preferred:
  - All major distros support it.
  - Red Hat people work on it.
  - AFAIK, it has more features.
  whereas Apache OpenOffice is the fork Oracle created to remove control
  over the project from the community, after Oracle had refused for months
  to cooperate with the community (and for those months, LibreOffice had
  been the only version being developed at all). (I consider it a big
  mistake on the part of Apache to have accepted that trojan horse
  "donation". They should have pointed Oracle to the existing LibreOffice
  project instead. I really don't see why OpenOffice.org had to be donated
  to Apache when basically all the existing non-Oracle developers were
  involved in LibreOffice instead and when all that was needed was assigning
  the OpenOffice trademark to them.)

PS: I wonder if there's any connection between this feature and the MariaDB
    feature (or rather, Oracle's negative response to it).

        Kevin Kofler