Proposed F19 Feature: Apache OpenOffice

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 12:59:09 UTC 2013

On Mon, 04 Feb 2013 08:35:43 +0100
Kevin Kofler wrote:

> PPS: Oh, and this:
> > The /usr/bin/soffice alias is still a problem since (in the Fedora
> > packages) it would conflict between LibreOffice and Apache
> > OpenOffice: it is recommended to fix it in the LibreOffice packages
> > too, at least using the Alternatives system.
> is just not acceptable. Alternatives is the wrong solution for this
> (in fact, I'd argue it's always the wrong solution), because it is
> systemwide. Why can't you just rename or delete /usr/bin/soffice?
+1 from me as well. Having alternatives for this is just bad. Either
you're saying you're packaging something different -- then alternatives
is out of question -- or you're packaging something that is 1:1
interchangeable, but than I don't see a reason to actually ship
both.

I disagree with your previous mail though (even though I don't
necessarily disagree with your reasoning against - i.e. "waste" of
resources *is* a strong argument). While AOO and LO started from the
same point, they're not doing the same *and* in the future you can
expect further divergence. Fedora has always been the one to bring new
things first, we should do so, IMHO, in this case as well.

Also, going by your reasoning there would be no point in having
Calligra either... Furthermore, technically LO is the fork ;-)

I don't think Oracle has anything to do with it any more, they just got
rid of unwanted "spoils of war". Although, I might be wrong.

Martin