Proposed F19 Feature: Dracut HostOnly

John Reiser jreiser at bitwagon.com
Mon Feb 4 14:47:32 UTC 2013

> = Features/DracutHostOnly =
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/DracutHostOnly

> ... This results in a very big initramfs, which takes a long time to
> load on system start and a long time to create on kernel updates.

For speed in creating an initramfs, please consider Requiring
the package 'pigz' (Parallel Implementation of GZip), or at least highlight
this feature in the documentation.  If pigz is present in $PATH,
then already today dracut uses it, and this speeds up the compression
by a factor equal to the number of CPUs.  On my 3GHz box with 2 CPUs
the gzip time is about 20 seconds, but using pigz takes only 10 seconds.