Proposed F19 Feature: Dracut HostOnly

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 15:56:39 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 6:22 PM, Dennis Gilmore <dennis at ausil.us> wrote:
> that are built at kernel build time? the issue with building it at
> build time was making sure we knew exactly what sourcs we needed to
> ship to match all the binaries in the initramfs. the initramfs's we
> build and ship as part of teh install tree we know exactly what sources
> because they match what is in the release tree rather than what was in
> the buildroot at build time.

That _is_ a missing piece of the dracut/initramfs toolchain: we need
something in dracut that scans what files have been included from the
buildhost, finds what rpm they belong to and writes down the NEVRA
into a file that goes _into_ the initramfs.

Right now, it is impossible to trace back the origin of an arbitrary
initramfs built by dracut. Unless you find the build host (and it
hasn't changed!).

At OLPC we've had a few incidents of "where the hell did you build
this initramfs?" and "how can I respin this initramfs with only this
patch applied, no other changes whatsoever?".

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions