Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Feb 4 23:53:20 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-02-04 at 06:56 +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Adam Williamson wrote:
> > 2. Can't we just not have a default?
> >
> > Not really. Others have touched on this, but the websites team really
> > wants the simplicity of a straightforward 'Download' link that gets you
> > a live image, and that pretty much requires a default desktop.
>
> And just because the websites team "wants" that nonsense, we have to keep
> it? Seriously? That one-click download is utter nonsense: No matter what you
> pick, it will always be the wrong thing for many people. The step to
> actually pick the correct download cannot be skipped.

...and forcing a choice - possibly between several things they are not
familiar with either in detail or in nature - is equally wrong for many
people. Probably *more* people. Lots of people don't really care what
desktop they get, and lots of people don't know what a desktop is or
what are the differences between GNOME and KDE and Xfce and LXDE and and
and and...

You're a new Linux user, you go to our download page, and instead of a
simple big green Download button, it starts asking you questions about
what 'desktop environment' you want? What the hell is this crap?

Getting this right was one of the simple things Ubuntu did that helped
its initial surge in popularity over other distros at the time, BTW.
They didn't make you pass a test to download the product.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey