Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Feb 5 00:11:52 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-02-04 at 18:19 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> >> Could you provide more details? I have Fedora 18 running on several
> >> 32bit machines and am wondering what you are referring to.
> >
> >  From releng, I got the confirmation that some new computers does boot only UEFI
> > OS by default. And we don't provide UEFI on the 32bit ISO. Therefor, it is not
> > compatible.
> Ah, OK - My 32bit machines all predate UEFI ;)
>
> [2 ca. 4 year old, still-inuse Atom-N270 netbooks and a 10years+ old
> PIII, which serves as testing machine ;)]

I doubt that's what the OP was talking about, as he mentioned "obsolete
hardware". There was exactly one set of systems, ever, that used EFI-ish
firmware but were 32-bit not 64-bit: the very early Intel Macs. We do
not support those by policy. There's no practical reason to want to boot
a 32-bit Fedora image as UEFI native - if you're doing it, it means you
got something wrong. But people do get things wrong, and it was
reasonable to stop labelling the 32-bit image as 'most compatible' to
try and stop people getting this thing wrong.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey