Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Feb 5 01:32:55 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-02-04 at 20:14 -0500, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 6:53 PM, Adam Williamson wrote:
> >
> > You're a new Linux user, you go to our download page, and instead of a
> > simple big green Download button, it starts asking you questions about
> > what 'desktop environment' you want?
> >

> As I said earlier in this thread, and as the Fedora Board ratified
> (link given in my previous post), this is not the type of the user
> base we are targeting. There is a perfect distro for such users, and
> its called Ubuntu.

Sorry, but I don't agree with your interpretation of the Board's list:

- Voluntary Linux consumer
- Computer-friendly
- Likely collaborator
- General productivity user

Which of those screams 'will clearly be familiar with the concepts of
'desktop environment', 'KDE', and 'GNOME' to you?

'Voluntary Linux consumer' doesn't mean they *already know about Linux*,
just that they have chosen to go out and try Fedora of their own accord.
So far as I can see, the classic 'been using Windows and poking around
for a while, read a news article about this Linux thing, wants to try it
out' person meets those requirements just fine. This person does not
know what a 'KDE' is.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey