Proposed F19 Feature: Apache OpenOffice

Andrea Pescetti pescetti at apache.org
Tue Feb 5 07:21:17 UTC 2013

Martin Sourada wrote:
> That's mostly how I understand the proposal. The goal for F19 is to get
> it in and solve (potential) conflicts. It should probably either drop
> the mentions of 4.0 or clearly state that 4.0 is going

Actually, the feedback I got at FOSDEM was to focus on packaging trunk
for the time being.

But indeed, the biggest effort is on packaging in a way that it is
satisfactory for everybody, and for this first step it doesn't really
make a technical difference whether we use 3.4.1, a recent 4.0 milestone
or 4.0, since the major infrastructural changes were already done in
OpenOffice 3.4.0 and newer versions do not introduce new dependencies
(although trunk uses an updated product name, that could help in solving
some conflicts).

In Fedora, even installing OpenOffice manually (i.e., by downloading
RPMs from the OpenOffice website) is problematic since:
1) it won't install cleanly due to the conflicting "soffice" alias
2) even if you force installation, "yum update" can wipe out OpenOffice
since one of the LibreOffice RPMs obsoletes the OpenOffice RPMs.

It is surely possible to do better, and to do so in a way that leaves
the user experience for LibreOffice end-users unchanged. This is what I
see as a first step.

Note that I haven't had time to check with F18 yet, so I welcome
feedback on this if someone can test before I do.

Regards,
   Andrea.