Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Tue Feb 5 08:02:37 UTC 2013

On 02/05/2013 08:09 AM, Jef Spaleta wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 9:55 PM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
>> I disagree. Fedora's lack of popularity is largely thanks to these issues.
>>
>> In this context, I feel the Cinnamon request rsp. the "give users a choice
>> on DEs" attempts are part of an attempt to escape the at least one of the
>> dead-end roads Fedora currently is stuck in (The Gnome3 dead-end).
>
> I disagree. I do not think the existence of Cinnamon as yet another
> environment does anything to address any of the things  you previously
> listed: "Freaks'/nerds' distro", "Ubuntu is much easier", "Fedora
> lacks soooo much", "Way too unstable", "Way too short life-cycles." I
> view your inclusion of your list as a general angst filled pile-on,
> and not constructive for the feature proposal discussion.
Absolutely no.

My points are:

* The Gnome3-suite will never fit everybody, i.e. trying to push/force
it onto all users will never work and is not helpful to the Fedora
community.

* Gnome3 is (ab-) using Fedora as Gnome3 test-bed. This already has
caused a considerable damage to Fedora (and RH).

> -jef"the real solution to all these problems is openCDE, which I look
> forward to proposing as default in the F20 cycle"spaleta

Yes, though you might have ment this as joke. I am sure there are
people, who would support such and endeavor ;)

Ralf