Mass changing 500 packages BR:maven to BR:maven-local - TOMORROW(ish)

Stanislav Ochotnicky sochotnicky at redhat.com
Tue Feb 5 12:46:28 UTC 2013

Quoting Stephen Gallagher (2013-02-04 16:26:40)

> On Mon 04 Feb 2013 04:56:23 AM EST, Stanislav Ochotnicky wrote:
> > Now that I have your attention...
> >
> > Fedora Maven package is currently a mix of upstream release and our changes that
> > we need for building RPMs. We can clean it up, but we need to move packages from
> > BR: maven to BR:maven-local. That will enable users to install Maven package
> > without installing a lot of other stuff they don't necessarily need.
> >
> > This change will not affect buildroots because maven-local pulls in maven
> > package.
> >
> > The only issue is: there's mass rebuild scheduled for 8.2. I would like to
> > rebuild Maven packages before that. We have a modified mass-rebuild script that
> > can do the change of maven -> maven-local automatically. Strictly speaking this
> > change is also breaking current Java guidelines, but I believe for the better
> > (change proposal should be up today/tomorrow, with SIG meeting following).
> >
> > I am looking for a blessing from a community to do this change
> > tomorrow/Wednesday so that F19 is even more awesome :-) Is there anyone who
> > feels strongly against this change? I realize this is very short-notice, but
> > I believe disruption this change will cause is nil.
> >

> If this change is in violation of policy, PLEASE refrain from
> performing it until such time as the FPC reviews the proposed changes.
> Also, if this is going to impact a large number of packages, it should
> either be coordinated with the existing mass-rebuild plan or else
> performed in a private branch and then merged in. If something goes
> wrong with your mass-rebuild, it will be difficult to address in
> Rawhide with some packages updated and some not.

I've filed an FPC ticket[1]. The reason I was planning to do it shortly before
mass rebuild is exactly because mass rebuild checks last build that was done on
package and if it was done recently - doesn't perform the mass rebuild.

I hope we'll manage an agreement on Wednesday so I'll be able to do a nice
rebuild in coordination with rel-engs and not pollute repos too much.

Thanks for speaking up,

[1] https://fedorahosted.org/fpc/ticket/251

--
Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky at redhat.com>