the need of "Offline Updates"

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Tue Feb 5 23:02:47 UTC 2013

Jochen Schmitt writes:

> On Tue, Feb 05, 2013 at 01:21:23PM +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:
>
> > nothing would happen on a webserver with httpd if it would not be
> > restarted at package-update which goes wrong if you are using PHP
> > and packages of the dep-tree are not yet all updated which fails
> > PHP to load, without the hardcoded restart httpd would happily
> > continue to run with the old php-package from memory
>
> Question: Does it makes sense to collect all services which should
> be restarted during the update process and restart the services after
> all packages was updated?

I've been doing updates via yum update forever. I never had any problems.
This looks like a solution in search of a problem, to me.

But if this indeed an issue, the package should take care of by itself,
using its own scripts. There is even a documented way for a package to stop
its services, before it gets updated, and restart it, after the update, see
/var/lib/rpm-state