Proposed F19 Feature: More Mobile Broadband

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 15:52:28 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 02:55:42PM +0000, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> = Features/MoreMobileBroadband =
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/MoreMobileBroadband
>
> Feature owner(s): Dan Williams <dcbw at redhat dot com>
>
> New mobile broadband devices supporting multiple technologies (eg,
> CDMA/EVDO/LTE and/or GSM/UMTS/LTE) and using new proprietary protocols are
> becoming common in the marketplace, and are not well supported by ModemManager
> 0.6 and earlier. We developed ModemManager 0.7/0.8 with a new API specifically
> to address this issue and to be more compatible with future mobile broadband
> devices.
>
> == Detailed description ==
> Multi-mode Qualcomm-based devices have on the market since 2009 and support
> multiple WWAN technologies, often at the same time or with a runtime firmware
> change. CDMA-based carriers migrating to LTE (like Verizon, Sprint, China
> Telecom, KDDI, etc) require these multi-mode devices to ensure that coverage
> is not interrupted when handoff between CDMA/EVDO and LTE occurs.
>
> ModemManager 0.6's D-Bus API simply could not be extended to handle these
> cases, and due to this, the opportunity was taken to rewrite the API to ensure
> future functionality could be more easily supported in the D-Bus API.

In Scope I see "KDE's networking layers likely require an update to use the
new API, as will any other direct client of ModemManager. However, the
functionality that most networking applets require from ModemManager is
fairly simple,"

How do we tell who the consumers are of the APIs that have changed?

repoquery -q --whatrequires ModemManager only shows NetworkManager

Do we need to repoquery --whatrequires NetworkManager and then do we need
to audit all of those packages to determine what's using the affected API?

Who is committing to do the work to:
1) Identify the affected packages
2) Patch the affected packages for the new API

-Toshio