the need of "Offline Updates"

Pavel Alexeev forum at hubbitus.com.ru
Wed Feb 6 17:06:14 UTC 2013

05.02.2013 19:58, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 05.02.2013 16:49, schrieb Jochen Schmitt:
>> On Tue, Feb 05, 2013 at 10:30:50AM -0500, Colin Walters wrote:
>>
>>> 2) Modern Windows updates are safer than RPM, speaking broadly
> jokingly?
>
> show me a upgrade of production machines from F9 to F17
> without end in a inconsistent system on windows - you
> can't, i have been there
>
> windows is missing anything like transaction-checks
> tp prevent one "package" is overwriting files of
> a different one, has no package-deps over the
> complete system
>
> tune2fs 1.42.3 (14-May-2012)
> Filesystem volume name:   /
> Last mounted on:          /
> Filesystem UUID:          918f24a7-bc8e-4da5-8a23-8800d510442
> Filesystem features:      has_journal ext_attr resize_inode dir_index filetype needs_recovery extent flex_bg
> sparse_super large_file uninit_bg dir_nlink
> Filesystem created:       Mon Aug 18 06:48:05 2008
>
> 3.7.3-101.fc17.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri Jan 18 17:40:57 UTC 2013
>
> and as you can see above this was installed with F9 in 2008
I have longer history. On my old desktop at home I have installed now
Fedora 16 (plan upgrade) which was always only upgraded, no reinstalls
at all. And so history starts from far ~2002. Initially it was ASPLinux
[1] (Fedora Core derivation) and then cross-repo upgrade on Fedora Core
2. After that only upgrades.

I can't say what all was very smoothly and without problems. I remember
2 times when it does not boot and I had been forced start troubleshoot
and resurrect system. But in most cases upgrade was mostly easy. And I
awaiting doing it just more easy and more robust, not drop such really
great capability from Linux world!

[1] http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=asp
<http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=asp>