Static Analysis: some UI ideas

David Malcolm dmalcolm at redhat.com
Wed Feb 6 20:30:40 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-02-04 at 15:04 -0500, David Malcolm wrote:
> I've been experimenting with some UI ideas for reporting static analysis
> results: I've linked to two different UI reports below.
[...snip...]

I've updated the reports somewhat so that they can now show analysis
failures were an analyzer fell over.

(currently this failure data is only supplied by cpychecker, but I plan
to wrap things in mock-with-analysis so that if something segfaults or
otherwise fails we capture it, rather than drop it on the floor).

Updated version of the simple report:
http://fedorapeople.org/~dmalcolm/static-analysis/2013-02-06/simple-report-with-failures.html

Updated version of the comparative report:
http://fedorapeople.org/~dmalcolm/static-analysis/2013-02-06/comparative-report-with-failures.html

For example, see:
http://fedorapeople.org/~dmalcolm/static-analysis/2013-02-06/comparative-report-with-failures.html#file-62275112da75822a5ff6615b7bc277c1ab5fa624-line-994
where cpychecker failed with an exception in the same place when
analyzing both the old and the new version of the package.  Note how the
traceback is shown adjacent to the code that caused the checker to barf.

Similarly, see:
http://fedorapeople.org/~dmalcolm/static-analysis/2013-02-06/comparative-report-with-failures.html#file-582e92386444e67c48bc695926f1dcb24b9f0910-line-90
where cpychecker exceeded one of its builtin limits and only partially
analyzed the function (I probably need to tune the thresholds in
cpychecker so it doesn't give up so easily).

Dave