Proposed F19 Feature: systemd/udev Predictable Network Interface Names

Glen Turner gdt at gdt.id.au
Thu Feb 7 22:36:01 UTC 2013

On 29/01/13 05:32, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> We figured in this it's better to just stick to a single name for each
> iface, pick a good default scheme for it, and support alternative
> schemes.

The whole point of biosdevname was to move from a ennumeration-centric
view or a bus-centric view of network interfaces to a user-centric view
-- where possible the interface name matched the name stamped on the
chassis. Many rackable systems have two or four ethernet interfaces in
essentially random order on the chassis, so moving away from the
bus-centric names to the user-visible names was a win.

I don't understand why, having learned this lesson, we are moving from
ennumeration-centric names to bus-centric names, even where the system
itself has told us what the interface name actually is.

--
Glen Turner   www.gdt.id.au/~gdt