Proposed F19 Feature: systemd/udev Predictable Network Interface Names

Scott Schmit i.grok at comcast.net
Fri Feb 8 02:26:00 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 07, 2013 at 10:07:59PM +1100, Bradley Baetz wrote:
> What happens with USB network devices that are plugged into
> different slots? Currently my iPhone shows up as eth1, but using the
> above, depending on which of two adjacent ports I happen to plug it
> into, I get:
>
> $ udevadm info --export -p /sys/class/net/eth1 | grep ID_NET
> E: ID_NET_NAME_MAC=enx0226b08178a9
> E: ID_NET_NAME_PATH=enp0s29f7u1c4i2
>
> $ udevadm info --export -p /sys/class/net/eth1 | grep ID_NET
> E: ID_NET_NAME_MAC=enx0226b08178a9
> E: ID_NET_NAME_PATH=enp0s29f7u2c4i2
>
> Will those be treated as two separate devices under this scheme
> depending on which USB port I happen to use? And if so, will that
> actually matter?

If you switch to MAC-based names, no, because the MAC isn't changing. If
you use topology-based names (the default), then yes, the device name
will change, and it will matter.

The analogy I heard that defends this behavior is to think of the USB
network device as a mere converter between USB and the network -- you
wouldn't expect to be able to plug a network cable into an arbitrary
slot, would you?

--
Scott Schmit