boost 1.53 in Rawhide

Kalev Lember kalevlember at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 09:41:29 UTC 2013

On 02/08/2013 03:56 AM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Feb 2013 02:57:19 +0100
> Petr Machata <pmachata at redhat.com> wrote:
>> I have just built boost 1.53.  I didn't go through the side tag as
>> originally envisioned, as tomorrow's mass rebuild should take care of
>> it all in one fell swoop.  I'll still be available for help if your
>> package mysteriously fails or if there's just too many <'s and >'s in
>> your package for a sane person to wrap their head around.
>
> Dennis is traveling right now, so it looks like the mass rebuild may be
> pushed off to the 12th.
>
> Do we want to untag this until then?
> Or is it going to cause broken deps?

The mass rebuild doesn't do rebuilds in the dep order, it just goes
through all the packages alphabetically. With packages using boost,
there are often long dep chains that need rebuilding in the dep order. I
would say that it still needs some provenpackager action to get the
rebuilds done. Petr, are you a provenpackager now?

In my opinion, it would be perfect to have the gist of the boost
rebuilds completed by the time of the mass rebuild.

Boost has not only shared libraries, but also a lot of header-only
template code. When provenpackagers do rebuilds, they usually take care
of the broken library deps, but nobody rebuilds packages that only use
the template code. If we manage to complete the library rebuilds by the
time of the 12th, then the mass rebuilds would also take care of doing
the rest of the rebuilds, to ensure that all packages are really using
new boost 1.53 template code.

--
Hope this helps,
Kalev