Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Fri Feb 8 19:59:04 UTC 2013

On Fri, 08.02.13 20:35, Nicolas Mailhot (nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net) wrote:

> Le Ven 8 février 2013 13:22, Olav Vitters a écrit :
> > On Fri, Feb 08, 2013 at 10:34:58AM +0100, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> >> I am providing a datapoint that directly contradicts your original
> >> statement, namely that there is a "completely different target
> >> audience" for GNOME 2 vs GNOME 3.
> >>
> >> I am that datapoint.
> >
> > As are various others during FOSDEM (Vincent Untz asked people to raise
> > their hands). No idea how representative that it.
>
> The FOSDEM poll was stacked — no one really wanted to hurt Vincent Untz
> too much given his obvious efforts to be nice, there was this knot of
> GNOME people bunched together that were a tad intimidating, and people do
> not go to FOSDEM to fight. What is telling however is the complete refusal
> of the audience to put systemd and Gnome 3 in the same bucket. Lennart's
> efforts to explain his project, understand sysadmin needs, provide a
> smooth transition and keep current usages working clearly paid off
> there.

Actually, don't try to separate us systemd folks too much from the
GNOME3 folks. I as one of the systemd guys, am a GNOME3 guy too. I fully
support GNOME3's goals, much of my work I see as groundwork to achieve
GNOME3's goals, and I believe GNOME3 is the best thing that ever happened
to the Linux desktop. When I see a GNOME2 desktop it appears like a trip
down memory lane to me, and even though it was only a few years ago that
GNOME2 was the state of the art of a Linux desktop it now appears to be
as old as Windows 3.1 to me. And I am really thankful I don't have to
use Windows 3.1 anymore.

So yeah, I'll jump in defending GNOME 3 any time, thank you very much,
even though I know that these discussions will never stop any haters
from hating, and never stop them from doing this publicly, and
repetitively and loudly on mailing lists such as this one.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.