Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Feb 9 08:56:30 UTC 2013

Adam Williamson wrote:
> It's an *initial* state, not a never-changing one. When I first decided
> I was going to try Linux, I wanted to try Linux. I wanted exactly what
> our download page gives you - a simple link to a thing called Linux I
> could download and fiddle with. I'm not sure I wanted my first encounter
> with the Linux world to be a boxout explaining to me what KDE and GNOME
> were and asking me to pick one or the other. These things are obviously
> things I came to learn about later, but they're not the most fascinating
> topic to deal with when you first decide you want to play around with
> this here Linux thing.

The desktop environment is going to be the main piece of software they're
going to try out and a major part of the user experience they'll be getting.
If you make the wrong choice for them, not telling them about the options at
all, they'll end up disgusted of that "Linux" thing and will go back to the
proprietary OS they used before, never to be seen again, and they'll never
even realize that a better desktop exists.

        Kevin Kofler