Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 11:19:41 UTC 2013

Hi Kevin,

On Sat, 09 Feb 2013 11:09:15 +0100
Kevin Kofler wrote:

> There are several factors which bias this poll:
> * GNOME 3 is the default in Fedora, so of course more Fedora users
> will be using it, merely due to the fact that it is the default.
> * Some people actually left Fedora over GNOME 3.
> * Conversely, and perhaps even more importantly, many (possibly even
> most) GNOME 3 users are actually using Fedora now, because Fedora is
> universally recommended to people wanting to try GNOME 3 as the
> distro with the best GNOME 3 support.
>
> If you do a poll across users of all distributions, you get very
> different results:
> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/2012-linuxquestions-org-members-choice-awards-104/desktop-environment-of-the-year-4175441851/
> and I believe the results for Fedora would be very different as well
> if we picked a different default.
While I inherently believe that that no internet poll can present
statistically relevant data (unless huge majority of user-base actually
votes), it's actually interesting to see that XFCE is coming second
(about 1/4 of votes), after KDE of course (about 1/3 of votes), in the
poll you linked. And has twice the votes than the third, which is GNOME
Shell (about 1/8 of votes). That's the first time I've seen XFCE win
over GNOME, LOL. And yeah, I agree with you about the bias in Fedora
poll.

<joke> So, when XFCE-4.12 comes into Fedora (Fedora 20?), how about
starting this flamewar again with "XFCE as Default Desktop" feature
request? We already tried this with KDE and Cinnamon, after all and
XFCE is the second most popular in some random internet poll ;-)</joke>

Maybe we would really be better off if we provided user with the
initial choice between KDE, GNOME and XFCE, instead of pointing him
directly to 64bit GNOME, which does not boot on half of the world...

Martin