Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 11:34:34 UTC 2013

On 9 February 2013 00:37, drago01 <drago01 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 1:23 AM, Martin Sourada <martin.sourada at gmail.com> wrote:

>>  * Gnome 3's target audience does not enclose majority of Gnome 2's
>>    target audience, though it *does* have some intersection. Many of
>>    those are seeing this as arrogance.
>
> Being different does not imply different target audience ... same
> thing and discussion happened when GNOME 2.0 got released.
> Now the haters from back then want GNOME 2.0 back ;)

Gnome 2 slowly returned to the old behaviour in many ways. Gnome 3 is
starting to do this.

>>  * Some trivial stuff is taking months to years to re-implement (shut
>>    down).
>
> Nonsense. Shutdown has always been implemented. It just got presented
> differently.

Hidden. On the bizarre assumption users didn't need it.

>>  * Gnome 3 is going the I-know-better-then-you-what's-good-for-you
>>    way.
>
> Sure by giving you an extension system that allows you to do whatever
> you want with the desktop ....

Is anyone doing that?

>>  * We think Gnome 3 is doing similar type of mistake as Windows 8.
>
> GNOME3 has nothing to do with windows 8 other than both work better on
> touch devices then previous releases .... supporting new hardware
> isn't really a bad thing imo.

And neither much contemplated that the interface that's appropriate
for a mobile phone is not appropriate for a desktop. I still use Gnome
3, despite the many helpful suggestions to change. I don't find it
quite as annoying as Windows 8 (where it's sometimes hard even to know
how to close down an app), but I do find that:
1. I no longer use workspaces to manage different tasks unless there
are lots of windows and then I sometimes overflow onto 2. This is
because they're less useful as you now can't switch without going to
the activities view and they aren't segregated well. At work I have a
KDE desktop and use four routinely.
2. I do less with my computer. Fedora installs quite a lot of
applications, some of which are interesting. Occasionally I'd spot
something in a menu and think 'that's interesting', I don't do this
any more.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk