Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Feb 9 14:46:57 UTC 2013

Michael Scherer wrote:
> Gnome-shell is not mean to be used nor appropriate for a mobile phone.
> And despite being rather usable on a touch screen ( I tested ), it is
> still not sufficient there for 1 million of details ( Vincent Untz talk
> also said the same, see gnome people to see the details ).

But it is clearly inspired by mobile phone UIs. Why? Phones are not the
target, so why copy them? It leads to an interface which is not appropriate
for ANY platform. It's not appropriate for mobile phones for the reasons you
cite, it's not appropriate for computers because it looks and feels like a
smartphone UI, so what IS it appropriate for?

Users of computers have certain expectations of how a user interface looks
like, and gnome-shell completely fails to meet those expectations (as do
Unity and Window$ 8's "Modern UI" (formerly known as "Metro"), which both
suffer from the exact same problem).

        Kevin Kofler