Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Sat Feb 9 18:48:24 UTC 2013

On Sat, Feb 09, 2013 at 10:22:41AM +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> drago01 wrote:
> > There is no easy way to install applications (regular user don't want
> > to mess up with packages).
>
> Huh? Fire up gnome-packagekit or Apper, choose your app, make 2 or 3 clicks
> (install, apply, confirm dependencies if any), enter your root password and
> the app is there. How do you propose making this any easier?
>
> I don't understand all this app store hype. Our repository system gives you
> the same advantages while being much sounder technically (automatic
> dependency resolution instead of bundling everything).

It is providing a solution from the maintainer perspective. Ideally
everything should be packaged by a distribution. But sometimes it is
nice to have a stable distribution, bit still easily be able to test a
development version of some app and see if your bug has been fixed. Same
for the maintainer who just wants to provide something for loads of
distributions, not wait if someone makes a package for every
distribution out there.

A distribution does not scale as much as all individual maintainers can
IMO. That said, distribution is still preferred (drawbacks of the
solution like shipping your own libraries is ugly).
--
Regards,
Olav