Gnome-shell workspaces

Trond Hasle Amundsen t.h.amundsen at usit.uio.no
Sun Feb 10 14:12:45 UTC 2013

Olav Vitters <olav at vitters.nl> writes:

>>> Somewhat funny that many users even don't know this tweak tool and ask
>>> everywhere about this......
>>
>> I always found it odd that gnome-tweak-tool even exists.. some
>> functionality are found in the system settings, some in
>> gnome-tweak-tool. If you ask me, gnome-tweak-tool should be part of the
>> standard system settings. Call it "advanced shell options" or
>> something. It would be easier for users to find, provide a more
>> consistent GNOME experience, and ultimately happier users.
>
> This has been addressed various times. In brief: Advanced buttons do not
> work. They'll be clicked every time. Tweak tool provides a different
> guarantee of stability. For instance: if you change an option in System
> Settings and it results in a bug it must be fixed asap. At the same
> time, the sloppy focus option in Tweak tool is known to have issues. And
> to avoid misunderstandings: sloppy focus has less issues with every
> release.

Ok, I see the point, and thanks for the explanation. I did suspect that
some of the idea behind gnome-tweak-tool is providing features and
options that aren't stable enough to exist in system settings. Like a
collection of beta features. Would we then see features being eventually
moved from tweak-tool to system settings, as they are deemed stable and
mostly bug-free?

Cheers,
--
Trond H. Amundsen <t.h.amundsen at usit.uio.no>
Center for Information Technology Services, University of Oslo