Add a spec template in rpmdevtools

Simone Caronni negativo17 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 10:08:16 UTC 2013

Hello,

On 12 February 2013 07:18, Casper <fantom at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Hi folks,
> 8 months ago I opened a ticket on rpmdevtools track to request the
> integration of a spec template. 5 months later without any response,
> someone made a ping on the ticket, but there was no response for now.
>   https://fedorahosted.org/rpmdevtools/ticket/20
> So my question is: Is there any living developper of rpmdevtools, just
> to add one file in the git repo ?...

The situation is already much better:

rpmdev-newinit
rpmdev-newspec
cpanspec

Examples:

$ rpmdev-newspec -m -r 4.5 -o package.spec

Generates a spec file with all the tags required for RHEL 5 systems; while
the following:

$ rpmdev-newspec -m -o package.spec

Generates a spec file with all the tags required for RHEL 6 and Fedora
systems.

You can experiment with -r for the various rpm versions and there's also
some logic in the command to generate the correct %post and %postun
sections if the spec file has "libs" in its name. The same goes for python,
etc.

For perl; you can use cpanspec:

$ cpanspec -m Math-Polygon-Tree

This super handy tool generates a spec file that already includes license,
description, version, etc. all generated from CPAN; with the "-o" switch
you can also generate for older RHEL/Fedora releases.

For RHEL SysV init scripts use:

$ rpmdev-newinit -o package.init

The various init scripts and rpm spec files do follow of course the package
guidelines.

Regards,
--Simone