Gnome-shell workspaces

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Tue Feb 12 14:21:36 UTC 2013

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 11:18:09PM +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Olav Vitters wrote:
> > I don't get why you reply to me. It seems anything people do is just
> > bad.
> >
> > No tweak tool: bad
> > A tweak tool: bad
>
> Strawman…
>
> What I actually mean is:
> Completely hidden or absent settings ("no tweak tool"): bad
> Settings hidden in a tweak tool: bad
> Settings available and exposed in the normal settings dialog: good

That is exactly what I mean: I explained why it is not in the main
dialog. The setting is available. There is a GUI. Still bad, has to be
done in yet another way.

For instance:
"Settings hidden in a tweak tool": Those settings aren't hidden.

There was a nice post by a developer at Microsoft on settings. First
there would be a request for a setting. Eventually it would be added to
the registry. Then exposed somewhere else. Eventually in the main
program. Every step hugely increases the amount of work that has to be
done. I tried finding the blogpost, but very unfortunately could not.

> > If the only thing you can do is complain about the work that other
> > people do, find another hobby or something.
>
> This ad hominem attack deserves no reply.

You call ad hominem and strawman way too quickly. Suggest not claiming
stuff like "Settings hidden in a tweak tool", as that is just not true.
I could look up what term is used for that, but cannot be bothered.

--
Regards,
Olav