Should MariaDB touch my.cnf in %post?

Honza Horak hhorak at redhat.com
Tue Feb 12 17:46:28 UTC 2013

Hi folks,

I'd like to share an idea related to MySQL->MariaDB move, that may be a
bit controversial. Speaking about default case in Fedora, MySQL has used
only one file at /etc/my.cnf to configure server, libraries,
command-line utilities, etc.

MariaDB uses by default /etc/my.cnf and
/etc/my.cnf.d/{client,server,..}.cnf files, while all the /etc/my.cnf.d
directory is included using !includedir statement in /etc/my.cnf.

The problem is, that after replacing MySQL with MariaDB existed my.cnf
won't get updated (uses "%config(noreplace)") and then users will be
confused by having /etc/my.cnf.d/* files, which won't be used.

A solution proposed by MariaDB upstream would be adding !includedir
directive into /etc/my.cnf (if not already done) in mariadb's %post
section. That would mean *modifying user's configuration during RPM update*.

I haven't found any restriction forbidding this solution, but would like
to collect opinions, how bad it is, because we're aware it's not very
clean -- however, it has it's benefits.

In case user won't wish to use !includedir anymore, he'd comment it out
and it won't get added again.

Cheers,
Honza