the need of "Offline Updates"

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Feb 13 19:18:51 UTC 2013

Am 13.02.2013 19:19, schrieb DJ Delorie:

>> But, e.g. if openssl is updated for security issues, all dependent
>> services need to be restarted. If not, you're still e.g. vulnerable.
>> That can't be your wish.
>
> Ah, but if sshd is restarted in the middle of the update, and you
> ssh'd into the machine to do the update, it kills the install halfway
> through and leaves you with an unusable system until you log in on the
> console, clean up the rpm database, fix ssh, and restart it all.  DAMHIKT.

this is fixed in the meantime so that the current sshd
process with your sessions get's no longer killed, this
problem was introduced with systemd F16/F17 upgrade and
is a very good example for "not do it this way" because
it killed also "yum complete-transaction" repeatly

fact is you have NO IDEA in a larger update what happens
if services are restarted randomly and so it is very bad
to go this windows way and make admins life harder

bother the ordinary GUI user with OfflineSystemUpdates* but
leave us yum-admin-folks completly in peace at all while
assume that we are knowing what we are doing - keep your
fingers as much off my environment as possible

* https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/OfflineSystemUpdates