Proposed F19 Feature: systemd/udev Predictable Network Interface Names

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Wed Feb 13 19:57:42 UTC 2013

Matt Domsch (Matt_Domsch at dell.com) said:
> The RHEL model of disabling biosdevname by some hardware
> vendors, at installtime, is not accounted for in the current proposal.

I find this model pretty broken - if we want to have clear semantics
that are easily explainable to users and admins, we don't want the
namespaces being used to be conditional on the hardware vendor (other
than insasmuch as they have proper information in their bios.) I know
how RHEL 6 did it, but that was a matter of expediency with late change.

> I agree, that's the right approach, which is why Dell pushed to get
> the SMBIOS and PCI specifications amended to put explicit per-device
> information into there.  I hope we can work together to do likewise
> for cases coming up now that aren't currently addressed.
>
> If we can solve the installtime naming convention choice to not
> eliminate biosdevname, be able to disable systemd/udevd naming, and
> have the default be possible on a per-system-vendor basis, and solve
> the NPAR/SR-IOV/Mellanox naming problems, then I can support this
> proposal.  Without fixing these shortcomings though, my customers will
> have a fit at me.

If you're agreeing that biosdevname should be limited to type9/type41
(if I'm reading you right), and if the systemd/udev names still use those
fields, what parts of biosdevname are you still requiring? The actual
namespace used, or something else?

Bill